Saturday, March 19, 2016

If your friend jumped off of a building, would you?


If your friend jumped off of a building, would you follow them?

Growing up, how many of us heard that very statement from our parents, grandparents or someone else?   

Then we grow up, take jobs, have families and we out grow those questions - right?

However, the questions change form, but the peer pressure and the pressure from the world remains the same:

  • You can't be successful in life without compromising
  • You can't get ahead without adopting the values of the places where you live and work
  • Go ahead, everyone does it
  • Its just the way things work in the real world
But, as Christians we aren't supposed to take on the values of the world.   We are to be  reflections and examples of God so that we can represent His light.   Romans 12:2 says, "And do not be confirmed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect."

Ever wonder why God doesn't want us to adopt the values of the world?   I mean, he created the world, so why wouldn't he want us to reflect his creation?   Right?

While it is true that God created the world, He has also told us that Satan is the current ruler of this world.   That is reflected in the following verses:

1 John 5:19  We know that we are children of God, and that the whole world is under control of the evil one.

John 12:31 Now is the time for judgement on this world; now the prince of this world will be driven out.

John 14:30 I will not say much more to you, for this prince of this world is coming, he has no hold over me, but he comes so that the world may learn that I love the Father and do exactly what my Father has commanded me.

Knowing satan is in control of the world, whose values are we reflecting when we give in to the pressures of the world we are no longer living by faith and have put on a spiritual blindfold.   When this happens we go through life crashing into various situations and falling into Satan's traps.  Further we reflect the values of the world and no longer reflect God's light and values.   Realizing that, it is no wonder so many consider Christians hypocrites!  

But there is hope.   Colossians 1:13 tells us - "For He has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son He loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins."

John 17:14 I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world.

You see, as a Christian, we are chosen.   We are a royal priesthood, a people for His own possession.   This is directly called out in 1 Peter 2:9 "But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a hold nation, God's special possession, that you may declare the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His wonderful light."  

So, while we are sent into this world, we mustn't try to be a part of the world.   In John 17:13-19 Jesus tells us,  "I am coming to you now, but I say these things while I am still in the world, so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them.  I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world and more than I am of the world.  My prayer is not that you take them out of the world bu that you protect them from the evil one.  They are not of the world, even as I am not of it.   Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth.  As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world.  For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified."

What values will you chose to reflect?  The values of the world or the values of God?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yirat Adonai!

Yirat Adonai is the Hebrew term for "fear of the Lord."   As English speakers, we see the term "fear" as more of a sign ...